Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:47:03 -0500
From:      Joe in MPLS <joe@gracenpeace.net>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   LTO3 tape drive not detected

This was originally posted on the freebsd-questions list. It was
suggested that I post it here:

I have FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE running on an HP DL360 G5. I recently added
an (HP branded) LSI Logic single channel SCSI 320 card and attached an
HP Ultrium 920 LTO3 tape drive.

The system sees the SCSI controller as mpt0, and it seems to know
there's something at SCSI ID 4, but I get an "AutoSense Failed" for
hba/id/lun 0:4:0 at boot and subsequent camcontrol rescans.

I checked the supported hardware doc for the release but it doesn't get
very specific about tape drives. This is my first experience with LTO3
tape. I was hoping that I'd automagically get a /dev/sa0 device like I
always did with my old DLT drives but it wasn't to be this time.

Is there a way to make this drive work?