Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 2009 21:04:26 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Juri Mianovich <juri_mian@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What ELSE do I need to add to make.conf to avoid X ?

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:40:53AM -0700, Juri Mianovich wrote:
>=20
> Just trying to install rrdtool on a server.
>=20
> Do not want X.  Do not want X11.  Do not want Xorg.
<snip>
> Oops.  Looks like I was going to get X11 anyway.
>=20
> So, what other options do I need to add to make.conf in order to
> install a simple stats/database tool without hundreds and hundreds of
> MB of x11 ?

You should pick a tool that doesn't depend on X
components. From databases/rrdtool/Makefile: =20

LIB_DEPENDS=3D    freetype.9:${PORTSDIR}/print/freetype2 \
                cairo.2:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/cairo \
                png.5:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/png \
                xml2.5:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/libxml2 \
                pangocairo-1\.0.0:${PORTSDIR}/x11-toolkits/pango

and

USE_GNOME=3D      gnomehack

The cairo library depends on an Xorg component called xrender, unless
you build it with the WITHOUT_X11 variable defined, which is not the
default. See /usr/ports/graphics/cairo/Makefile.

Pango depends on some X components as well, unless compiled with the
WITHOUT_X11 variable defined. See /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/pango/Makefile.

So if you _really_ want no X related stuff at all, you'd better pick
something else, because cairo and pango are linked with several X
components. Check the required items for rrdtool on freshports
[http://www.freshports.org/databases/rrdtool/], and then follow the
links to the packages it depends on, and look at their
dependancies. You'll see a host of X related stuff. Maybe using
WITHOUT_X11=3Dyes is sufficient to stop these dependencies, but I doubt if
that is a situation that has been well tested.

Roland
--=20

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga--