Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 97 23:02:12 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Gary Schrock" <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
Subject:   Re: upgrading from 2.1-stable to 2.2-stable remotely?

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 17:48:04 -0400, Gary Schrock wrote:

>Is there any good way of upgrading a system from 2.1-stable to 2.2-stable
>when you don't have console access to the machine?  I've got a machine that
>would definitely see some benefits in upgrading, but which I don't really
>have access to (the machine's in california, I'm in michigan), and unless
>we want to pay someone on site exorbiant fees to do the upgrade for us it
>would be difficult to do unless it was done remotely.

	I do this all the time, and although it's not stress free, it's not impossible. :)
Here are the steps I follow, influenced heavily by the excellent tutorial on the
www site. http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/upgrade/upgrade.html  Different
people may argue that not all of these steps are needed, but after several
succesful upgrades, and one or two failures, I do what works. :)  Prior to starting
the process below, I make sure I have 2 or 3 shells logged in just in case.  The
only way into our machine is ssh, but during the upgrade process I usually enable
telnetd in /etc/inetd.conf just in case.

1.  cd /
2.  tar -c etc/* -f /home/studded/etc-date.tar
3.  cd /usr/obj
4.  chflags -R noschg *
5.  rm -rf *
6.  cp /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MYKERNELFILE /home/studded/MYKERNELFILE
7.  cd /usr/src
8.  rm -rf *
9.  mkdir dl
10.  cd dl
11.  ftp current.freebsd.org
12.  cd pub/FreeBSD/latestsafe2.2snap/src
13.  prompt
14.  mget *
15.  bye
16.  /bin/sh install.sh all
17.  cd /usr/src/etc
18.  diff -bB the files in /etc with the ones here.  After the problem with the
ppp/network group, I like to fold the changes in first now.
19.  cd /usr/src
20.  make -DNOCLEAN -DNOGAMES world 2>&1 | tee /var/tmp/mw.out
That's good for sh or Bash, see the www page for more info.  Thanks to those
who pointed out that if you rm /usr/obj/* the -DNOCLEAN option saves time.
21.  While the server is compiling, I double-check the files in /etc, and check the
GENERIC and LINT kernel config files to see if I need to make any changes or
additions.
22.  Once the make world is complete, I compile a new kernel, reboot, and cross
my fingers. :)

	Moving from pre-2.2 to a 2.2 snap (which you should do to get the open( )
and vnode fixes) will present more of a challenge, but it's very doable.  The most
important thing is to take your time.  Of course, if your systems are anywhere
near San Diego, write me privately and I'll give you a much more reasonable
price to handle it personally. :)

Hope this helps someone,

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***