Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:13:01 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel fails on behalf of config version

At 11:29 AM 12/26/2001 -0800, Crist J . Clark wrote:
>I don't really see many circumstances where it one would be wanting to
>make a kernel from newer source, but would not also want to update
>world. If you want to change the kernel configuration, use the same
>source the world was built with instead of newer source.

One comes to mind, since the issue was raised. :-)

Security fix of a kernel bug where no userland code was modified for the
fix.  Now I have to update my kernel source to fix the bug, but it may fail
upon reboot if my world is too old and they clash, burn.

Manual patches included in an advisory may not cleanly apply to a moving
-STABLE target.... and if it's a time sensitive issue I want to cvsup
now.  The only solution is to take the machine out of service for many
hours and build|install world|kernel in sync.