Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 18:24:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, michaelh@cet.co.jp, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zipfs filesystem anyone ?

> > The only real pain is extending the number of VOP's, should you need to...
> > and that's going to bite you no matter how you approach it because the
> > BSD VFS init code is broken (it counts the number of VOP's in the
> > statically linked UFS instead of using the struct vnops descriptor count,
> > with placeholders for some "reasonable number" of new VOPs).
>
> are you really sure about this?  by my reading of the code in vfs_init.c
> (and I've sent enough time looking at the code reciently), the size of the
> opv table is vfs_opv_numops = sizeof(vfs_op_desc)/
> sizeof(struct vnodeop_desc*) -1...  shouldn't this be enough? or am I
> completely missreading the code?

I haven't seen this; my home machine has been packed in a box on a truck
and is still in the box, only now in my livingroom.

This is, in fact, one of my VFS patches!

Yea, team!

If it's in there, then this is an important first step.  The next step
would be to add a special placeholder descriptor that can be replaced
in vfs_op_desc for several slots.  This would make it so you didn't
have to rebuild all of vnode_if.c and vnode_if.h to add new descriptors:
you can overwrite the placeholders instead.

Actually, that particular change (not using FFS to size the table)
is the first change in a chain that lets you boot a machine without
a file system at all (my original purpose).  8-) 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.