Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:39:38 +0200
From:      "Ivan \"Rambius\" Ivanov" <rambiusparkisanius@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpm equivalent to 'pkg_add -r'?

Hello,

> baring this, is there a better tool to use then rpm?
I am a newbie in freebsd with ambitions to become a master :) and up
to now I have installed tons of software using freebsd ports
collection and freebsd packages and I found them better than rpm.
Anyway, FreeBSD can run rpm as well (if rpm is installed of course :)
).

On 1/17/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> As the subject asks, is there an equivalent?  I'm trying to install
> linux apache2 on a FreeBSD box, and would like have rpm do as much as
> possible as far as getting the dependencies and downloading them ...
Well, when I installed my FreeBSD on my laptop, I was questioned
whether I would like to run a Web Server and I answered yes, so I had
apache2 installed.

You can compile and install httpd from ports collection with the
following command (as root):
cd /usr/ports/apache20
make install clean

Or you can install from a prebuilt binary package with the command
pkg_add -r apache2.

Regards
Rambius