Date:      Thu, 09 Jul 1998 09:46:29 -0400
From:      cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD E-Zine?

Something we also might consider when deciding on a format.

BeOS's <http://www.be.com/aboutbe/benewsletter>; is a decent and informative
format. Its an email only. Silicon Alley News
<http://www.siliconalleynews.com>; is an email only but it actually
duplicates what is on the site for that week. They catch readers coming and
going. ZDNET and CNET, email specials where there is a paragraph teaser
with a link back to the site for the full story.

Will we have enough fresh articles for a once a week zine or every two
weeks? It has to be consistent, we don't want to fall into UGU's once every
month and a half or so mailing.

After we get enough subscribers I guess it would be possible to charge to
sponsor the mailing. Silicon Alley news has truly mastered that angle. Or
will charging cause accounting problems on FreeBSD's end?

If we follow the email w/website format....

I like the idea of the newbie column as we can redirect readers to those
portions of the FreeBSD.org site. We could have a section of product
launches. This would certainly get us noticed by companies that have
products that run on FreeBSD. We could probably even have a bleeding edge
section as well. Maybe highlights on people/entities working on real
interesting uses of FreeBSD. An events section...etc. Although I think many
things written about in the e-zine will probably  be duplicated in the
mailing lists, we might be able to grab a different audience with the e-zine.

Why not have an international section as well?

I think we should also track the events in Japan. They have a great user
base as well. Maybe somebody on the Japanese end of FreeBSD could email us
whats going on over there and we can include it. Maybe they would print
what is happening over here in their local language version. We could do
this with other languages too.

And as much as I hate the word "webring" perhaps those of us who run our
own sites would consider mirroring the zine on their sites and forming one.
Count me in on it. We can never reach 100% market saturation but we
certainly can aspire to it. This might be a great way to expand our
community a little more.

And what about a name for our e-'zine? How about "The FreeBSD Advocate" ?

well........just a few ideas on the subject.

-cliff