Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 2015 14:56:27 -0600
From:      jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk question

On 06/20/2015 02:49 PM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 06/20/15 10:54, jd1008 wrote:
>>

>> On 06/20/2015 09:06 AM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>>

>>> .... I just dd'ed the FreeBSD 9.3 RELEASE memstick image onto a 4 GB
>>> USB drive. When I mount it, it shows 101% full, w/ about 717 MB of
>>> stuff. The NetBSD folks often (for Raspberry Pi, for example)
>>> recommend & provide examples of how to mess with the partition table
>>> after dd'ing to restore 'full' USB drive capacity as noted by df w/o
>>> messing up any of the other data in the stick. Is this feasible
>>> under FreeBSD ? If so, has anyone tried/done it ? How did it go :-)
>>> ? Care to post your commands that worked :-) ? TIA & have a good one
>>>

>> Hi Bill,
>> what is the size of the memstick image?

> A touch over 700 MB ....

I have experienced this problem before myself.
Basically, I had to manually take a look at the partition sizes
of source and partition the destination the same way.
The caveat was also that the source partition table area was not
the same as the destination's :(
So that wreaked havoc with what the firmware of the destination
thought was the partitioning scheme AFTER the dd from src to dest.
Someone showed me how to use the binary editor to fix the destination's
partition information. Unfortunately, I lost much email after drive crash
and replacement.