Date:      Mon, 22 May 95 14:11:26 EDT
From:      mmead@Glock.COM (matthew c. mead)
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Subject:   Re: Diagnostics for a hanging machine?

On Mon, May 22, 1995 at 10:57:23 (-0700), Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

 > > 	The ACM student chapter at Virginia Tech has a FreeBSD machine for
 > > our members use which I administrate.  Recently FreeBSD was installed on
 > > this machine in favor of NetBSD, and we are experiencing frequent machine
 > > hangs.  It appears the hangs are hardware related, as they also occurred in
 > > NetBSD.  Unfortunately what happens is the machine gets frozen on a vty,
 > > and does not go through a clean reboot.  Does anyone know of a diagnostic
 > > utility that could either constantly spew information to disk, or
 > > (preferably) across the net to a machine that's more stable so we can find
 > > out what's going on?  Any help whatsoever is appreciated; we really need to
 > > get the machine stable.  Thanks!

 > Infinite network copy:
 > rcp /dev/zero someremotehost:/someremotedir/someremotefile

 > Infinite disk copy:
 > dd if=/dev/zero of=/somedir/somefile

	I will try these out tonight.

 > Could you go into gory details about what the hardware is so that I
 > might be able to spot something that might lay a hand on just what
 > it is that might be broken?

	It's a 486dx2/66 on an EISA motherboard (not sure whose, I can
check if it's helpful) with 16M ram, a MAXTOR 639M SCSI I drive, a BusTek
742a SCSI controller, a plain jane vga card, and an NE2000 clone.  In the
past we were running NetBSD and had hangs with this same NE2000 ethernet
card.  Switching to a WD ethernet card stopped the hangs but it would still
panic and reboot sometimes.  I want to order an SMC card and see if it
stops.  Speaking of which, do you sell them?

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead  -> Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research -
                 -> Multiple Platform System and Network Administration