Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:43:41 +0200
From:      mark <mark@itsunix.uwc.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Hello,

I am a newbie to UNIX ( approx 1.5 months ) and need some help.

I have 5 Unix machines ( 1 new backup , 4 servers ) and I would now like to
backup the necessary information on the servers.

I was thinking that I could tar the info on the servers and then scp it to the
backup server at a specified time using the cron daemon. And then for the
backup server to well of cousre back it up using cron as well.

The problem comes in when I scp it asks for a password.
I am not sure how to use the cron to send a password ( not safe either if
someone gets to see the cron file )

The backup server needs to accept password-less scp from my 4 servers only, and
any other admin machines etc, as normal with passwords.

Do you think that this is the right way to go about it?
Do you have any other ideas?

Many thanks for your time,

Mark
Trainee UNIX ADMINISTRATOR