Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 20:45:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warning! Sun archaeology [was Re: Is my NCR controller broken?]

As Don Lewis wrote...

> On Sep 18,  5:25pm, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Is my NCR controller broken?
> } >(this stuff predates SCSI 1)
> }
> } Wrong.
>
> I may have misremembered on this point.
>
> } > I believe the some Sun 3's actually
> }
> } Wrong. It was actually the sun 4/110.
>
> Looks like we're both right.  I was unaware that the 4/110 was
> similarly afflicted.  From my sun-managers archives:
>
>   First, I was reminded about something which, while not directly impacting
>   my situation, is well worth repeating. This is the infamous design
>   decision(?) by Sun to ground the "termination power" SCSI pin on the 3/60
>   and 4/110 models, which means that a straight-through cable from either of
>   these models to a SCSI drive with termination power supplied tends to blow
>   the drive up! So while it's safe to plug an ex sun-3 drive onto a new
>   system, plugging a new drive onto a 3/60 is potentially a problem! It's ok
>   if you disable "termination power" on the drive, or cut the appropriate pin
>   of the SCSI cable.

The Sun thing is definitely a hardware bug. But drives should not die a
smoking death 'cause the TERMPOWER line should always be current-limited
(fused) of 1.5  amps per the ANSI SCSI standard. In addition a low-drop
(Schottky) diode is normally used to avoid powering switched-off devices
thru the SCSI bus.

Wilko