Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 19:40:28 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing boot?

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote...
> > So, I took another angle: grabbed kern.flp and mfsroot from FreeBSD
> > SNAP251198. Kern.flp boots OK, then asks for the MFSroot floppy. The .gz
> > of mfsroot is: 835517 Dec  3 21:11 mfsroot.gz Ungzipping and vnconfig gives:
> > /dev/vn0c        2839     2065      774    73%    /mnt
> >
> > So: well over 1.44 Mb floppy size. Question: can the kernel use a gzipped
> > mfsroot?
>
> Yes and no.  You're supposed to just load the gzip'd mfsroot from
> the boot blocks which will then handle the actual decompression before
> the kernel ever sees it.

OK, I do:

FreeBSD/alpha SRM disk boot, Revision
(jkh@beast.cdrom.com, Wed Nov 25 16:13:25 GMT 1998)
Memory: 32768 k
/kernel data=0x1e3f40+0x26918 syms=[0x8+0x3f210+0x8+0x25192]
Please insert MFS root floppy and press enter:

So, now it wants the mfsfloppy. This comes out of boot.conf:

su-2.01# cat boot.conf
@load /kernel
@echo Please insert MFS root floppy and press enter:
@read
@load -t mfs_root /mfsroot
@boot
su-2.01#

So I insert the mfsroot floppy:

Please insert MFS root floppy and press enter:

load: can't find '/mfsroot'

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.

What is it trying to tell me here? Floppy bad? Is the mfsroot.gz a simple
file on a UFS formatted floppy or is it dd-ed onto a floppy?

Wilko