Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:39:11 -0500
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound problem

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 01:59:04PM -0800, Wayne Lubin wrote:
> The problem I am having is that half the time I boot
> up my sound works fine, and the other half I get the
> error that the /dev/dsp device is busy. Now for a
> little backgroung and some more details.

Try doing a

fstat /dev/dsp0

when you get the "Device busy" message.  If it doesn't list anything,
fstat /dev/audio0 and /dev/dspW0, if you have that one; and any other
sound devices, to see if there is really something locking the card.
You should be able to get a complete list of your sound device names
by doing

ls -l /dev/dsp0

noting the major device number (the one before the comma), then doing
something like this (replace "128," with the number you see, with the
comma):

ls -l /dev |grep "128,"

If any of those fstat commands show a process, that's probably the
problem.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Notice, btw, that I'm having you fstat /dev/dsp0, not /dev/dsp.
/dev/dsp is a symlink to /dev/dsp0, and nothing will be holding that
open.  Also, if a fstat shows a process, the R/W column will tell you
if it's trying to play sound (W) or record sound (R).

One more idea below...

> Just purchased the sound blaster 16 pci card. Compiled
> into the kernel
>
> device pcm
> device sbc
>
> At boot the related messages are
>
> pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0x6200-0x623f irq 9 at
> device 20.0 on pci0
>
> and yes I did the MAKEDEV snd0 and the subsequent
> related devices all seem to be in /dev
>
> Note that there is no message relative the the sbc
> device. Is this a problem?

Is this true both when you do get sound and when you don't?  That
strikes me as odd...but so does the fact that your card is being
recognized as something other than SoundBlaster.  The PCM and SBC
drivers say they support ESS-based cards also, but I note that there's
an snd_ess.ko kernel module...wonder what that's for...

Good luck...

--
Doug Lee           dgl@visi.com        http://www.visi.com/~dgl
Bartimaeus Group   doug@bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com