Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 23:27:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > A weighted democracy would be one open-ended growth soloution, as
> > > long as parametric changes could be made within the system.  I have
> > > suggested this before.  A trivial napkin drawing version:
> >
> > This would so overcomplicate things that you would virtually guarantee no
> > new members joining FreeBSD.  Word of this would get around, most likely
> > with appropriate scare stories, and folks would avoid the groups like they
> > were plagued.  It wouldn't matter if this actually was workable or not,
> > the perception of thought police would be too strong.
>
> The "perception of thought police" is what we have now.
>
> What percentage "Linux vs. FreeBSD" usenet posts from the Linux side
> of the fence have claimed "FreeBSD has closed developement"?
>
> How can "thought police" have an effect in a machine-arbitrated
> environment?  The point of machine-arbitration is the elimination
> of the possibility (and as a side effect, the perception) of "thought
> police".

Yes, our development is much more controlled than Linux's is, but putting
further controls on it is going to magnify the perception of FreeBSD's
tighter control.  It doesn't matter if the end effect is more or less
freedom, the perception is the only thing of importance.

We have the "perception of thought police", yes, so we shouldn't move
towards making that perception stronger.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |