Date:      Fri, 30 Sep 2016 09:52:47 -0500
From:      "Dean E. Weimer" <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        Priyadarshan <bsd@bontempi.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File Name Too Long?

On 2016-09-30 9:39 am, Priyadarshan wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2016, at 14:34, Dean E. Weimer wrote:
>> On 2016-09-29 9:32 am, Dean E. Weimer wrote:
>> > I discovered, unfortunately by deleting a jail by accident, that my
>> > backup process isn't working. At least it was only the operating
>> > system part of the jail, I still have all the data so I just need to
>> > reinstall the operating system. While the ports are in the process of
>> > building I started to investigate the cause, because the backup logs
>> > report everything was fine.
>> >
>> > I have a custom pre-backup script I wrote that takes snapshots of my
>> > ZFS datasets, and then mounts those under /mnt/backup with nullfs
>> > mount points to the .zfs/snapshot/.. directories then I back them up
>> > rather than the live file system, allowing me to stop some services
>> > that don't restore from a running state correctly and then restart
>> > after the snapshot so downtime is only a couple of minutes instead of
>> > full length of backups.
>> >
>> > It appeared to be running perfectly, without errors, but apparently
>> > the script isn't reporting some nullfs mount failures, so why are the
>> > failing, turns out it thinks the file name is too long? but looking at
>> > the mount(2) man page it states this:
>> >
>> > [ENAMETOOLONG]     A component of a pathname exceeded 255 characters,
>> > or
>> >                         the entire length of a path name exceeded 1023
>> >                         characters.
>> >
>> > I can see that at some point under this, I may reach that 1023 limit,
>> > but what of the total 71 characters in this path has a problem?
>> >
>> > /jails/unifi/ROOT/.zfs/snapshot/11.0-RELEASE-r306379-2016.09.28--bsnap
>> >
>> > root@freebsd:/jails/unifi/ROOT/.zfs/snapshot # ls
>> > ls: 11.0-RELEASE-r306379-2016.09.28--bsnap: File name too long
>> >
>> > I thought, maybe its a ZFS specific error, and ran across this:
>> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-March/007964.html
>> >
>> > [..snip..]
>> > From looking at the code, I think you hitting this limit:
>> >
>> > 	/*
>> > 	 * Be ultra-paranoid about making sure the type and fspath
>> > 	 * variables will fit in our mp buffers, including the
>> > 	 * terminating NUL.
>> > 	 */
>> > 	if (strlen(fstype) >= MFSNAMELEN || strlen(fspath) >= MNAMELEN)
>> > 		return (ENAMETOOLONG);
>> >
>> > in vfs_domount() or vfs_donmount().
>> >
>> > This is FreeBSD limit caused by statfs structure:
>> >
>> > /*
>> >  * filesystem statistics
>> >  */
>> > [...]
>> > #define MNAMELEN        88              /* size of on/from name bufs */
>> > [...]
>> > struct statfs {
>> > [...]
>> > 	char	f_mntfromname[MNAMELEN];/* mounted filesystem */
>> > 	char	f_mntonname[MNAMELEN];	/* directory on which mounted */
>> > };
>> >
>> > When you list .zfs/snapshot/ directory (especially with -l option) ZFS
>> > mounts snapshots on lookup and this is this mount that fails.
> [...]

Thanks, that's probably it, the original snapshot name with its full
data set path added up to 89, with that in mind I can edit my script to
throw a warning if this limit is hit so that my backup logs will let me
know if a data set gets missed. I need to edit it anyways so that a
warning gets logged on the mount failure which was already occurring. It
looks like I escaped the errors, so that the script returned successful
and didn't make the Bacula backup job fail so that the data that did get
mounted would be backed up, but forgot to write the error to the log.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer