Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:54:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   socks5 configuration

Anyone gone through a socks5 proxy server configuration where FreeBSD
acts as a router between the LAN and the internet?

Purpose: to run napster on a Windows NT machine in the LAN

My FreeBSD 4.1 machine is configured as a ISDN router (sppp to the
internet - interface isp0), xl0 lan interface, 192.168.1.

I created a /etc/socks5.passwd file and my /usr/local/etc/socks5.conf looks
like:

#Socks5 Config file for a normal, single homed server
#set SOCKS5_RECVFROMANYONE
#set SOCKS5_USECLIENTSPORT

permit  -       -       -       -       -       -
interface 192.268.1  - xl0
interface -         - isp0
permit - - - - - -

Yes, it's dangerous as the docs say but I want to  get it working first then
shut the drawbridge.

I configure server 192.168.1.119 as the socks5 server and port 1080
at the client side.

What happens is, when I run the napster installer, that DNS packets
go out to the internet with strange domain suffixes (I have a fake domain
in my LAN, and actuall a local DNS server).

So the installer fails with server.napster.com not found.

Any clues?