Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:01:51 +0100
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/127248: System crashes when many (7) serial port terminals (vt320-vt510) connected to the server via com to usb adapter and 2-usb hubs.

[ -usb@ added to existing thread ]

> > > This is because USB is absolutely crap for this purpose.
> > > RS232 terminals, especially with long cables, can produce several kind
> > > of spikes and ground loops, which USB is very very sensitive about.
> >
> > Many things about USB are crap (thanks, inthell), but if a USB to RS-232
> > bridge cannot handle normal spikes and ground loops, I'd blame the
> > bridge, not USB itself.  If the problem is spikes and ground loops
> > there is probably some RS-232 filter/isolator available to clean them
> > up.  There could be a bug in the bridge which needs a software workaround.
> > In any case the system shouldn't crash.
> >
> > Are there specific make&model USB to RS-232 bridges that people
> > have had good luck with?
>
> USB can't handle spikes and ground loops.
> As said: use isolated devices, so you don't have the loops and spikes.
> You can blame the device for not being isolated, but you expect every
> device to provide expensive workaround for a design failure.
> USB is designed for cheap stuff - that's all about it.

Surely a "good" USB to RS-232 bridge (if one exists?) or a RS-232
filter/isolator (assuming they exist?) would be *far* less expensive
than the server class alpha you suggest below.

And IIRC it is just speculation that the original poster's problem is
caused by spikes or ground loops.

> Yes - the system shouldn't crash, but don't expect it ever being fixed
> for FreeBSD-alpha.

There is a 6.4 coming out, yes?  It is unlikely that the problem is alpha specific.
If an alpha crashes, other archs will likely crash.

> > > My advise is to use a completely other technology to connect the terminals.
> > > A galvanic isolated USB device might work, but there are lot of PCI and
> > > Ethernet devices on the market which are more solid by design than USB.
> >
> > The problem with PCI is the limited number of slots.  :-(
>
> Well - not realy with server class alphas...

In my world, a "server" means 1-4 full height 19" racks with quite large
price tags and power&cooling requirements.  Some people think a server
is a pee-cee.  So I'm not sure what you mean by "server class alphas".
I have what I would call a "workstation" class alpha, which cost an
obscene amount to get 6 PCI slots instead of 4, and at times they are
all full.  So I can't use up a slot just to get a couple more RS-232
ports.  How many PCI slots does a server class alpha have?

RS-232 doesn't require PCI levels of bandwidth.  Something like a
USB to RS-232 bridge could be a good solution, if I knew which
make&model of bridge worked well with *BSD.  Poking around on the web
I can't even find what chip they have inside.

Do these bridges actually work properly, or do they have gotchas
like the USB to SATA/PATA bridges?

> > Ethernet could be a good solution for some applications, if you
> > can get the software to deal with it.  NFS is crap, *real* distributed
> > file systems handled devices transparently.  (thanks, Sun)
>
> This is a different topic.
> For RS232 Ethernet is quite reasonable.

For some applications yes.  But some apps want to open /dev/ttyXX
and do ioctls on it.  How does one use such an app on Free/Net/OpenBSD
with the RS-232 device on some Ethernet connected RS-232 port?

> > Does anyone make firewire to RS-232 bridges?
>
> Or stay with the old DEC devices - they are rock solid even after all
> those years.

It is not obvious what "old DEC devices" you are referring to.