Date:      Sun, 4 Sep 2011 05:09:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Edwin Groothuis <edwin@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [ANNOUNCE]: clang compiling ports, take 2

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Namely: if a port sets USE_GCC=4.2+ (for instance, sysutils/busybox does
> that), the Pointyhat build does not install GCC.  I think the bug is in
> ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk which is unaware that there are newer clang-based
> 9-CURRENT systems without gcc.
>
> I hope we can have another -exp run soon that addresses this.

Matthias, sorry for not getting to this earlier.  If you look at
Mk/bsd.port.mk, there is a line

  GCCVERSION_040200=      700042 999999 4.2

which indicates that GCC 4.2 has been in the base system starting
with FreeBSD 7.0 (and that magic 42 marker) until the rest of times.

Can you advise which value of __FreeBSD_version to use?  The official
list at
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/freebsd-versions.html
does not have a reference from what I can see.

Gerald