Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 10:42:03 -0400
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        dchapes@ddm.on.ca, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1).

> Bottom line: Warnings are good program design.  Requiring extra work
> to issue them-- particularly when they're most frequently required in
> interactive use-- is not.

For interactive use, alias ln to `ln -w' to warn you.  If you
change the default behavior of ln, you *will* break scripts.
Unlike editors, ln is more likely to be used in scripts than
interactively (well, it is so for most people).

Bottom line: backward compatibility is a good program design.

> One of my very favorite badges says, "Unix doesn't keep you from doing
> stupid things because that would keep you from doing clever things."
> That's still true.  But I still like to know that I'm doing something
> stupid, just in case I'm not particularly clever at the moment.

Adding such band-aids and making them the default *does* make
it harder to do clever things (such as write scripts).