Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:09:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com (Richard Todd)
To:        mpp@mppsystems.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux emulation crashes (was: Re: Softupdates disappears?)

Mike Pritchard writes:

>I finally figured out my problem after quite a few reboots, and
>forcing a few crash dumps.

>It turns out that I had an old linux_base port installed, and when the
>/usr/sbin/linux script ran /usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig the version
>I had, for whatever reason, wound up calling the reboot() system
>call.

I had this happen to me too, a while back on -current.  The culprit is that
the ldconfig executable wasn't branded as a Linux executable, so when the
emulation code changed to look at the branding, the kernel assumed ldconfig
was a FreeBSD executable, and apparently the executable has the right sequences
of bytes to carry out a reboot system call.  Anyway, using brandelf to mark
the Linux ldconfig as being a Linux executable fixed that; presumably the
current linux_base install does this automatically.

>One odd thing, due to some outdated files in /etc/defaults (I think), I wasn't
>even building the linux module and installing it.  The kldload was failing,
>but attempting to run the bad ldconfig still caused the machine to crash.
>FreeBSD syscall # 55 = reboot, Linux syscall # 55 = fcntl.  I wonder

Aha, so *that's* where the bogus reboot came from.