Date:      Sat, 24 May 1997 10:11:06 -0400
From:      "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@phofarm.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: process monitoring tool (like SysV init)

As Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
>On Thu, 22 May 1997, Stephen McKay wrote:
>> I like the idea of a nanny type program, but can't decide whether it should
>> be merged with init, much like System V, or kept separate like inetd.
>
>The question in my mind is "How does the nanny know that the program has
>died?".  If the program does not daemonise itself, then SIGCLD takes care
>of that, but if the program *does* daemonise itself, what then?  Would it
>be possible for the kernel to signal an event such as a process dying?
>Does it do this already?  One simple, imperfect way is to grab a pid from
>/var/run, and then watch /proc/{pid}/status.

Back in my AT&T days, someone had hacked SVR2 and SVR3 to allow process
adoption.
Presumably there was some way of detecting that a process has been
orphaned
and then to adopt it as a child.  I don't know the specifics but the
work
was done by someone who worked on CB Unix (Columbus).  Many of the CB
Unix
changes made it into SysV (including stuff for init).  The process
adoption
was done later, I believe (though it may have been in CB Unix, also).

Danny J. Zerkel
Photon Farmers
dzerkel@phofarm.com