Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2001 09:45:34 +1000
From:      Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Perl, Expect and ^M's

HI All,

I have come up with a curly one......... I have a process which is as follows

I pull a line of text out of a MySQL database with a perl script, which
launches an expect script to do stuff. Problem is, in the text I pull out
of the DB, I need some ^M's in the (ascii oct code 013). Because I cant
store ^M's in MySQL, I am using 2 carrots (^^) to state where each ^M needs
to go.

Example -

"The Cat Shat In The Hat^^Bad Cat^^Baaaaaad Cat"

I pull this line out of the DB, and I need to be able to replace the ^^'s
with ^M's to look like the following

"The Cat Shat In The Hat^MBad Cat^MBaaaaaad Cat"

I would love to be able to do this at the very end process and replace all
^^'s with ^M's in the Expect script, but it might be that I need to do it
in the Perl script.

Anyone able to give me a slight nudge with the clue stick?

Thanks

Chris

--
     Chris Aitken - Administration/Database Designer - IDEAL Internet
  email: chris@ideal.net.au  phone: +61 2 4628 8888  fax: +61 2 4628 8890