Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 00:49:54 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, hosokawa@jp.freebsd.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard and -current; a long way to go. :-(

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> > > 2.2.2 bits gets me past the card recognition phase, there is still the
> > > pccardd/ifconfig startup race which Nate claimed was not an issue.
> > > Trust me - it's an issue! :-)
> >
> > No it's not, you don't understand the startup code.  You're trying to
> > use the 'stock' if_ed0 lines to configure thing, and it doesn't work
> > that way.
>
> But..  I've already argued that this shouldn't be necessary when
> pccardd's ultimate aim is to make ed0 *exist* on my system; why in the
> heck would I want to increase the number of places where this is done
> from one to two?

Because the current startup code is _too_stupid_ to deal with
transient interfaces.  This was hashed out ages ago.

If we accept your model where the system can't start until a network
card is inserted to match the ifconfig_foo lines, I'd be screwed if I
decided to boot without my 'net card to save power.

Waiting for pccardd to start is not the right way to deal with this.
Better would be to have the ifconfig/routing data consumed by a script
started as a result of the arrival of an interface, as is the case
with the pccard stuff right now.

This may cause problems with code that expects to be able to do
network-related setup early in the boot phase.