Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:19:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Should we approach Redhat, Debian et al.

Let me say that I am against the "FreeBSD Inc" organization going
commercial. Much discussion has been made about what I feel is a
semi-commercializing process with respect to FreeBSD. This I do not
like.

In the interest of advocacy, the point has been raised that business
won't use free software because "Free=not there when you need it." To
attract more businesses to FreeBSD someone needs to be "there when you
need it."

Which brings me to my point.

The FreeBSD Inc organization might consider soliciting Caldera, SuSE,
Redhat, et al to produce a commercically supported version of FreeBSD.

Advantages:
Wider distribution.
Commercial support to entice businesses.
A spot next to Linux on university store bookshelves.
The first commercial adopter can increase its offerings to customers and
get an advantage on other Linux resellers.
Commercial adopters already have UNIX expertise.

Disadvantages:
Funds being diverted to competitors from loss of Walnut Creek sales.
Maybe some loss of control over releases

I think there may be a net gain to be had by this proposal.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html