Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:22:23 -0500
From:      Jon Pennington <jpennington@atipa.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot reboot or power-off the machine

FreeBSD Release: 4.1.1-STABLE

Environment:

FreeBSD aol-eval.lab 4.1.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE #2: Thu Oct 26
11:07:18 EDT root@aol-eval.lab:/usr/src/sys/compile/SUPERMICRO i386

Full Description:

On a SuperMicro DL3 motherboard (RCC ServerWorks chipset with AIC-7892
SCSI) with two 800MHz (133MHz FSB) Intel Pentium III processors, reboot
does not halt or reboot the machine as expected.  The output of the con-
sole is as follows:

boot() called on cpu#1
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to
stop...stopped
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...stopped

syncing disks... 3 2
done
Uptime: 35m4s
cpu_reset called on cpu#0
cpu_reset: Stopping other CPUs

...and with that, the machine stops, with the SCSI indicator light on.
It does not cycle the power nor power down.  I have tried multiple com-
binations of APM enabling and disabling in the BIOS and kernel, but to
no avail.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a suggested workaround, or must I use
another motherboard?  The installations that we want to place this con-
figuration in are limited by the fact that there isn't always an admin
around to hit the Reset button on the case.

Thanks for your time.

--
-=|JP|=-                "Why, oh, why didn't I take the blue pill?"
Jon Pennington        | Atipa Linux Solutions   -o)

6D04 39E0 CAE9 9ADA 2CA3  2EBE 898A 6C37 CA1E A29C