Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:57:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, imp@village.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

:How in the world could my inetd ident service be exploited? I just fixed
:the only problematic feature, fake id, to make it not read anything but a
:regular file and not let you try to use  someone else's name. I can't see
:any way that any part of it could be exploited...

    Typically the exploitation of identd is in the form of a denial-of-service
    attack.  What we saw at BEST were denial-of-service attacks against identd
    to prevent users on a particular shell machine from being able to initiate
    an IRC client session (because the remote IRC server would not be able to
    obtain ident info).  Early versions of Identd could be used for port
    scanning purposes, but not any more.  Since identd will only resolve
    connections comming from the client IP making the connection, there aren't
    very many "interesting" ways to abuse it.

						-Matt