Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:17:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Nick Hilliard <nick@iol.ie>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, nick@iol.ie, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dpt raid-5 performance

> I haven't yet replied to Nick's message because I wanted to check
> something here first, and I've been too busy so far.  But I'll come
> back with some comparisons.

I'm going to run some benchmarks over the next few days and see what they
throw up.

My instinct was that 512K was a "good" interleave size in some sense of the
word, mainly because of the fact that it would cause so many fewer disk io
ops in most circumstances -- in fact, all circumstances except where you're
doing piles of tiny io ops.  The bonnie results seem to shatter this
illusion.

Does anyone know if a 2044W card creates exactly the same RAID structure on
a disk array as a 3334UW?  I have both cards lying around the place at the
moment, and it would trivial to run benchmarks for both systems just by
replacing the card on the machine.

Nick Hilliard
Ireland On-Line System Operations