Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:59:19 -0700
From:      "John R. Shannon" <john@johnrshannon.com>
To:        Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@webmail.sub.ru>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CF reading?

On Friday 17 January 2003 02:35 pm, Alex Povolotsky wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:22:41 -0700
> "John R. Shannon" <john@johnrshannon.com> wrote:
>
> JRS> I just went through this with my wife's Christmas present Canon
> JRS> camera. My solution was to get a SanDisk ImageMate Reader and
> JRS> connect it via USB. We remove the CF cards and read mount them lik=
> JRS> any removable device.
>
> What's the innate difference between Nikon as umass, Uno 4! CF reader (=
got
> the same result from it) and SanDisk ImageMate? AFAIK, at least Uno 4!
> works under Linux.

I found it interesting that the camera was recognized as a disk under uma=
ss. I=20
had to use gphoto2 to recognize it as a camera. Does your camera manual s=
ay=20
anything about formatting the disk for reading the CF directly? It was bu=
ried=20
on page 63 of the Canon manual.

> JRS> One thing - the CF card has to be formatted with a filesystem
> JRS> before you can read it. With my wife's Canon, this can be done wit=
> JRS> the camera.
>
> Hmm... Isn't it get shipped preformatted? Will camera work with unforma=
tted
> media?

Yes, the camera will work with unformatted media, however, the pictures c=
an=20
only be downloaded directly from the camera in that case. With the canon,=
 the=20
format is FAT16.

--=20

John R. Shannon