Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:54:56 -0800
From:      "Mark Bermal" <mbermal@ucsd.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Generic Lucent PNP modem (winmodem?)

Hello!

I am having problems setting up a generic Lucent based PCI PNP
modem. Though the bios finds the modem just fine, the kernel can't
find it, even though I compiled it w/ pnp support. Also, I read
something about putting the pnp ID# in the sio.c file, but the problem
is I don't know what the pnp id# is. My bios shows a bunch of
numbers at boot denoting the card, is it a combination of those?

Though, I have a suspicion that this modem is one of those
"Winmodems," though the docs and lucent website don't explicitly
say so. Does anyone know for sure if Lucent based modems are
"winmodems?" And, if this modem is in fact a "winmodem," what are
some modem recommendations for a V.90 PCI modem that works
well under freeBSD? Are generic PCI V.90 modems based on
Rockwell chips winmodems? I would like to spend under $50, but if I
must I could go buy a Diamond Supra or USR modem, but those
cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks,

Mark Bermal