Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:25:44 -0800
From:      "Jay Krell" <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <tranman@nwlink.com>, <seanj@speakeasy.org>
Subject:   Terrible network experience upgrading to 4.0.

I just upgraded from 3.4-Release to 4.0-Stable.
I skipped 3.4-Stable, because it panics on me all the time.

My network stopped working. Both dial out and internal.

Short version: # no longer works in ppp authname, and it is required for
netcom accounts; network card drivers have a tendency to get changed, you
must config out of the kernel what they get changed to. Mine went from de to
dc, which notably have about the same description in the GENERIC config
file.

Long version:
Netcom ppp userids start with '#'. This is not my choice.
This was fine in FreeBSD 3.4 Release
ppp.conf:
 set authname #jaykrell
 set authkey ****
worked fine.

Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.0-Stable (3.4-Stable panics all the time on me), ppp
connections are dropped as soon as they are made (ok, actually they don't
get made, but they dial and the modems connect). If you ppp interactively,
it says "warning: sending empty pap name".

# comments are supposed to start at the beginning of a line, after optional
whitespace,
not anywhere, right? I can now see that comment handling in ppp has churned
a lot, but from the diffs I can't tell what the code used to do or does now,
though I can infer from my regressed experience. I can't get much done with
grep and vi, and have no X or emacs installed and couldn't ftp the sources
over to NT to use VC's find in files, only look at the ,v files in a copy of
the repository, so rather than make # comments start at the start of a line
I just brute force changed the comment character.

cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp
vi x.pl (doing this from a command line -e did the wrong thing)
while (<>)
{
 s/'#'/'%'/;
 print;
}
perl -pi.bak x.pl *.c
cd /etc/ppp
vi x.pl
while (<>)
{
 s/#/%/;
 print;
}
vi ppp.conf; fix user name from %jaykrell to #jaykrell
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin
make clean
make
make install

Ok, now ppp connections got all the way up and stayed. But my internal
network still wasn't working. Fiddle around with ifconfig, -l..um, dc? My
network card was de in 3.4... add dc to /etc/rc.conf. Still no luck. Upon
boot it reported "watchdog timeout". I'm using a GENERIC kernel. cp GENERIC
JAYK1, remove all network cards except de, and other stuff I don't use,
parallel ports, scsi, all but one serial port, acpi/laptop, etc.

Rebuild kernel.

Now it works. Ah. That was way way too hard.

 - Jay