Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:39:51 -0400
From:      Carl Glen Henshaw <ghenshaw@space.nrl.navy.mil>
To:        lreid@okstate.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dri falling back to software in 4.8-stable

On Monday 04 August 2003 07:02 pm, lreid@okstate.edu wrote:
> [CC'd for anyone who may need this resolution]
>
> Hi Carl,
>   Yes, I actually did determine the resolution to the problem. Since I had
> been running the system since 4.7-release, I used the drm-kmod package in
> the ports tree to get the DRI support. An undocumented (as far as I can
> tell) change from 4.7-stable to 4.8-stable includes the drm kernel module
> in the kernel module sources, and the drm-kmod port is depricated. If you
> remove the drm-kmod startup script from /usr/local/etc/rc.d, optionaly
> pkg_delete the drm-kmod package, and rebuild your kernel with options drm
> and agp added, you should have hardware support upon loading the new
> kernel. I've browsed through the UPDATING file from my last source update
> and I've found no mention of this change between 4.7-release and
> 4.8-release. Does anyone know why? (my being dense is a perfectly valid
> reason)

I also discovered that you must install the -stable sources *from cvs*, and
then make the /usr/src/sys/modules/drm directory in order for drm to show up
as a kernel module. It's not there in the default binary install, and
installing the sources via /stand/sysinstall doesn't do it either. Odd.

In any case, it works now. Thanks for the help.

Glen

Dr. Glen Henshaw			(202) 767-1196
Naval Center for Space Technology	ghenshaw@space.nrl.navy.mil
U.S. Naval Research Laboratory