Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:50:41 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Sean Chittenden <seanc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ipfw@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dynamic rules not being matched after divert...

Sean Chittenden wrote:
> I'm setting up an ipfw2+natd gateway and am pretty convinced there's a
> bug in the way that ipfw2 promotes dynamic rules to being fully
> established.

I and others have said similar things, but we were simply wrong.  The
problem is that natd is already a stateful bugger, and when packets
match a stateful rule in one direction (after natting, say) they
cannot match the rule in the other direction -- addresses won't match.
In one case you have the private address, in the other, the public
address.

This has been discussed before.  I'm working on new examples for
rc.firewall....