Date:      Fri, 28 May 2010 00:14:09 +0100
From:      "Graeme Dargie" <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Media streaming

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Scott [mailto:dalescott@shaw.ca]=20
Sent: 27 May 2010 20:23
To: Graeme Dargie; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

> ... So I am search of a media
> server that can transcode from native format to MPEG2 on the fly that
> does not require a GUI.

I'm experimenting with FreeNAS (FreeBSD? NanoBSD?), which uses Fuppes
("Free
uPnP Entertainment Services") for on-the-fly transcoding (I'm streaming
to a
plasma tv from the FreeNAS box via an Xbox 360). It runs headless,
although
there's a webgui for configuration (FreeNAS and Fupples). Just
mentioning in
case any of the technology could be applied to your situation.

Dale

Okies well so far I have tried mediatomb, the TV sees the server but
gives the same message as with ushare "this server does not support" be
useful if it said what it didn't support but there we go. I will look at
Fuppes tomorrow. As for ushare and multiple streams Carl, I played
something on the xbox360 upstairs then tried the Philips streamium
downstairs, it could not see the media server at all, was that what you
were getting ? I will test it again tomorrow as this streamium bit of
kit is quite old and fairly flakey in its operation.

Regards

Graeme