Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 05:56:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Ghulam Dastgir <banta@ghulam.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dial-up problems

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Ghulam Dastgir wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have FBSD 2.2.6 which I am generally very happy with except for one problem. Namely I can't seem to get User PPP working. Now I've spoken to Brian Somers about this and after comparing notes we still cannot figure out why it's failing.
> My present theory is that the FBSD O/S might not even be talking to my modem (perhaps there's compatibility problems between the modem and FBSD). I have a Rockwell 56K modem, is this compatible with FBSD 2.2.6??
> Also what basic modem commands can I issue to test that my FBSD is at least talking to my modem?? I suppose once I've established this I can then manually enter the commands from the ppp.conf file on the command line to see if they have any subsequent e

ffect??

Two suggestions:

1) Fix your email client to wrap lines > 76 characters... :)

2) download
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/share/examples/
     /ppp/ppp.conf.sample?rev=1.3

copy EXACTLY the line:
set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
           OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

into your ppp.conf file, the problem i've seen many times is that
people mix up spaces and tabs and other characters in here.  If
there is an error like that then most likely you won't even dial
properly.

you probably also want to check out the other sample files in
 /etc/ppp/

good luck,
-Alfred