Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:57:11 +0200
From:      "p.r. faasse" <faasse@nlr.nl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.4 802.1q and linux stalls

I can only speak about a limilar problem i once saw on a completely different set-up (A load
of WinXP machines..):

We did UDP broadcast at a fixed rate (20 Hz), with > 1 MTU packet size data.

One thing that can cause horrible disruption is a switch that 'cuts' these broadcast/multicast packets
at a fragment boundary: each Lan card/the TCP stack will receive 'half' UDP packets, buffer them
in the hope that the 'rest' of th UDP packet will arrive 'any moment now' and -in the long run-
choke on them. We saw this with a 3Com Gigabit switch. After consulting 3Com we got the response
that this was a 'feature' of their switch and 'dumped' the switch. The 'delayed' re-activation of the
Lan's is something we also saw in this situation.