Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 00:38:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
Cc:        root@narcissus.ml.org, Snob Art Genre <brosenga@calvin.pitzer.edu>, questions@freebsd.org, JBH <jbh@netpci.com>
Subject:   Re: tcsh apparently failing to run .cshrc

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Bryan K. Ogawa wrote:

> In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:
>
> >On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, JBH wrote:
>
> [...]
> >	On the only account on which I was able to see this directly,
> >there was an additional problem.  I su'd to that account and found that I
> >was unable to read or write its files!  I logged in as root on another vty
>
> While there are a number of possible reasons for this, I'd check the
> following things:
>
> 1.  Is their home directory correctly specified in /etc/master.passwd
> ?

Yes.  Adduser takes care of this.  I used it to create all my users so if
it were not doing this correctly I would have seen the problem sooner.

> 2.  Are their permissions set properly so that they can read their own
> files, including .cshrc?  This seems like it might be a problem, since
> if root copies a file, the copy should be owned by root, but with
> global read permissions.  You might want to see if .cshrc is something
> like mode 000 (no one can read it), since root will successfully
> ignore this.

Again, adduser does this.  And I checked the permissions, too.

> >and tried it again, and root could read and write the files with no
> >problem.  As root, I copied the .cshrc file for this account to a .tcshrc,
> >and it ran on login as expected.  I removed the .tcshrc and .cshrc still
> >didn't work.
>
> --
> bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/

I nuked the account in question and recreated it, and it works now, so
this has become somewhat academic.  I *would* like to know why it
happened, in case it happens again, but it's not strictly necessary.

 Ben