Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:45:06 +0100
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <chris@hexanet.fr>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   non booting laptop [HELP]

Hi

I am using FreeBSD 2.2.6 on a LAPTOP

a Olivetti Echos P133E

I installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 flawlessly
but when I rebooted the machine it refused to boot FreeBSD
saying READ ERROR

I had set the partition to Bootable during the install process
and I can boot the machine using the boot floppy and specifying
wd(0,a)kernel , the machine then boots without any problems.

Can anyone tell me what to do , in order to boot it normally ?

I have only FreeBSD on this machine , and the disk is dedicated to it
using

My root partition is 100MB ( not over 1024 Cylinders )
but I have only one slice when looking at it with Fdisk

this worked on my PENTIUM II machine which is also using IDE drive
( UDMA )

                        Christophe Prevotaux
Email: chris@hexanet.fr                 URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/

                            HEXANET SARL
Z.A Farman Sud, 9 rue Roland Coffignot, BP415, 51689 Reims Cedex 2
                              FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05	          Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06