Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:10:57 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GDM shows blank screen

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:05:19PM +0200, Philip Paeps wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> I've just installed FreeBSD fresh on a new machine, and configured X11 without
> any issues.  When I have GDM start from ttys(5), on startup, however, it just
> loads X and sits there ... blank 'graphical' screen with an 'X' mousepointer
> (which I can move around) in the middle ... No sign of a login box anywhere.
>
> XDM works without issues from ttys(5).
>
> I've added the following to pam.conf(5)
>
> # GDM config
> gdm	auth		requisite	pam_unix.so		try_first_pass
> gdm	account	requisite	pam_unix.so		try_first_pass
> gdm	session	required	pam_permit.so
>
> /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gdm is as follows:
>
> drwxr-x---  2 gdm   gdm   512  Oct 15 15:33 gdm
>
> Any ideas?

This apparently is an issue with XFree86-4.x.x and GDM. I really don't
understand why, but I've got the same problem. On RedHat boxes, GDM works,
and as far as I can tell, they use the same sources, so it's probably
a linuxism that GDM relies upon. It's over my head though, so I haven't
looked any further than that.

You could try kdm for a prettier login daemon.

--Stijn

--
What would this sentence be like if it weren't self-referential?