Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:58:24 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <danial_thom@yahoo.com>, "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
Cc:        Yance Kowara <yance_kowara@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD router two DSL connections

No, they don't know about those groups as I have just
finished explaining.

>Which is
>why the scenario I've suggested will work in all
>cases.

Which is why it won't work in all cases.

>I also know tons of secondary peering ISPs that
>don't do any filtering at all on incoming
>traffic.

Bullcrap.  Prove it.  Start naming names and I'll
post them on NANOG and ask others opinions.  I'm
sure the script kiddies looking for DDoS hosts
will appreciate knowing who to concentrate their
attacks on.

>If you're peering with multiple networks
>the combinations of source addresses that are
>possible to go through your network are too
>mind-boggling to load your server with. Most T3
>routers deployed can barely handle their loads
>without filtering every incoming packet through
>ingress filters. You may think they do it, but
>most don't

As I already said core routers don't
filter.  However, networks that do multiple peering
have edge routers that they use to connect to end-node ASs
and those filter.

>For example, in my office I have a cable modem
>and a 100Mb/s link to an ISP that happens to be
>in my building. I can set my default router to
>either router and it works fine. The cable modem
>company will accept ANY source address and so
>will the ISP. I assure you that the cable company
>doesn't know of my other addresses.

Bullcrap.  Once again, prove it.  If you think this
scenario really exists, post who is involved instead
of hiding.

Ted