Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:29:40 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acpi patch for dell laptop?

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <20030624164549.R3146-100000@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
>             Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET> writes:
> : On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> :
> : > In message: <20030623103557.Q3146-100000@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
> : >             Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET> writes:
> : > : 	Speaking about ACPI, has anyone figured out how to close the lid
> : > : without suspending?  I remember before, when the lid was closed, it would
> : >
> : > add the following to your /boot/loader.conf:
> : >
> : > hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE
> :
> : 	Putting it in /boot/loader.conf doesn't work since at some port
> : during the system bootup, it will set the hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1
> : back to S1.  My /boot/loader.conf is as follows:
>
> you are right.  that's what I get for not double checking on my laptop
> at home first.

	Hehe, I thought you knew something we didn't. =)

> : 	Doing /sbin/sysctl -w hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE in
> : /etc/rc.local does work which was the way I had it before but without the
> : ACPI_DSDT patch, all it does when I close the lid is suspend the machine
> : without the LCD going off and the LCD isn't alive until I reboot the
> : machine.  Same thing happens with hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S1 even with
> : the DSDT patch is that when the system resumes, the LCD is not live
> : either.  With the DSDT path and hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE, the LCD
> : turns off without suspending but when you open the lid, the LCD doesn't
> : turn on until you hit Fn-F10.  This is with the A10 BIOS on the Dell
> : Inspiron 8200.
>
> this matches my experiences, to a point.  I've not tried the patched
> dsdt table on my dell yet. :-)

	Guess there are lots of people with Dell's and IBM Thinkpads. =)

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin