Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 20:58:40 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC 3.2-BETA kernel and printing

Peter Schwenk wrote:

> I don't know what the "tty" or "net" parts do.  This change was
> discussed in -questions a bit after 3.1-RELEASE was released.  I just
> wanted to let you folks know just in case you want to include the change
> in the 3.2-RELEASE.

Basically, net is needed for SLIP. Because we want to support the
extremely unlikely case of installing through SLIP (extremely
unlikely, yes, but *NOT* inexistent! in fact, I'm almost sure there
is at least one committer who keeps this change from happening
because he wants to install through SLIP instead of upgrading his
set up to something that have actually been in use for the past five
years or so), we subject people to a seeming buggy printer driver.
GENERIC is not only the default kernel. It's the kernel used during
installation, thus, it must be kept this way.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Proof of Trotsky's farsightedness is that _none_ of his
predictions have come true yet."