Date:      Wed, 11 May 2011 05:37:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: start X in background without it taking over the console?

=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: CyberLeo Kitsana <c=
yberleo@cyberleo.net>=0ATo: Chris Telting <christopher-ml@telting.org>=0ACc=
: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org=0ASent: Wed, May 11, 2011 7:07:01 AM=0ASubj=
ect: Re: start X in background without it taking over the console?=0A=0AOn =
05/11/2011 05:36 AM, Chris Telting wrote:=0A> I already do... I'm want to a=
utomate it.=A0 Every other virtual screen=0A> terminal can start without gr=
abbing the console, I don't want X to=0A> either.=A0 I do development and I=
 suffer crashes.=A0 I want to do work while=0A> it boots up for a couple mi=
nutes and I'm tired of manually switching=0A> back to text mode.=A0 It's ge=
ts annoying the 200th time.=0A=0AYou could script it right after X starts, =
as such:=0A=0Avidcontrol -s 1 # Equivalent to Alt-F1=0A=0AI don't think X i=
s currently designed to start without initializing the=0Agraphics hardware,=
 though, so the initial vt change is probably=0Aunavoidable. Perhaps once K=
MS trickles down?=0A=0A-- =0AFuzzy love,=0A-CyberLeo=0ATechnical Administra=
tor=0ACyberLeo.Net Webhosting=0Ahttp://www.CyberLeo.Net=0A<CyberLeo@CyberLe=
o.Net>=0A=0AFurry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/=0A___________________=
 watching this thread with interest. First, I don't run X that much and wha=
t =0AI seem to know about it is that once you start X is grabs your video h=
ardware =0Aand that's that. I have never been able to get a text console ba=
ck once I do =0Astartx. But I'm a simpleton and only run the normal standar=
d windows manager =0Awhich installs with X. I've tried all the others and w=
hile they are great I just =0Adon't see the need for all the overhead since=
 my FreeBSD servers are just =0Athat...servers. Once in X I can open as man=
y Xterm windows as I want and I have =0Aaccess to the text console. Still I=
 would be interested to know if there is a =0Aresolution to his poster's qu=
estion.