Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:22:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   serial consol AND remote gdb possible?

I've been trying several combinations of flags to get
one serial port to be my DDB/system console and
the other to be my remote GDB port.

So far the only thing that happens is that I break to DDB,
type 'gdb', then continue, then I send a break over again
and GDB chat comes up on the same line.

This isn't what i want/need can someone give me working sio
flags for this?

I noticed that the alpha port does GDB output through
special routines in sio.c *gdb*() while the i386 platform
just seems to use the console.

I spoke to Jordan and Mike about it but was told that i could do it
with just flags.

Here's some combinations i've tried:

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x30 tty irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" flags 0x40 tty irq 3

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x30 tty irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" flags 0x50 tty irq 3

I've tried about 2 other combinations but I can't remember exactly
which ones.

What I would love would be for the kernel to inherit a variable
from the bootloader to tell it which serial port to use.

thanks,
Alfred Perlstein - Admin, coder, and admirer of all things BSD.
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        4.0-current