Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:09:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Lab <thelab@nmarcom.com>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DES & MD5

Someone correct mew if i'm wrong, but my foggy memory recalls somethng
like...

if you remove the /usr/lib/libcrypt* symbolic links to descrypt* and
instead link them to libscrypt*, and then recompile the system, the DES
passwords should still work fine AND the passwords created from that point
onwards will be MD5.

Of course, any ports using -lcrypt may have to be recompiled too.

-Mit

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Philippe Regnauld wrote:

> I'm in the process of blowing away the last Linux box on our network,
> and to this effect I installed DES on the new system, for the old password
> file.
>
> The thing is, I'd like to have:
>
> - old passwords encrypted with DES (that works OK)
> - new passwords encrypted with MD5 (which doesn't work -- they get created
>   as DES, unless I manually stick "$1$" in the beginning of the password
>   field.
>
> Is there a way to force MD5 generation, for any password change/creation,
> with or without the salt ?
>
> --
>  -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
>
>                The Internet is busy.  Please try again later.

Will 'Mit' Rowe                Systems Administrator/Programmer
Neray MarCom, Inc.			     vox: (416)481-5405
25 Imperial Street, Suite 210                fax: (416)481-3741
Toronto, Ontario, Canada                 http://www.nmarcom.com
M5P 1B9                                            ICQ: 7161728

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
		-- Jules de Gaultier