Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2005 22:47:18 +0100
From:      Rink Springer <rink@il.fontys.nl>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Matt Staroscik <matt@wrongcrowd.com>
Subject:   Re: Good gigabit NIC for 4.11?

> However, there is little point to trying to use GB and jumbo frames
> on a NIC in a standard 33MHz PCI slot; unless you have PCI Express
> slots available or a GB card integrated with the chipset, the PCI bus
> will bottleneck the system from doing much better than a 100Mbs NIC
> would perform...

Well, most desktop boards with a gigabit card don't have very good
performance; I wasn't able to get any decent performance out of a sk(4)
on an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard anyway (Even an em(4) in a 32bit
PCI slot did much better). I've had very decent results with 64bit PCI-X,
however, which sk(4)'s, ti(4)'s and em(4)'s.

For 4.x, I've only used em(4)'s (Intels) and these worked very well for
me. I'd highly recommend them, and never had any problems with them.
They work fine for 6.x too, should you ever consider a reinstall.

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
  "Richter: Tribute? You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves!