Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:07:07 -0500
From:      Rob Miracle <rwm@MPGN.COM>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Another wierd Kernel Question

We are having problems spawning more than 64 processes under a given ID.
We have maxprocperuid set to 1043 (20 + 16*MAXUSERS)-1.  One one machine it
works fine, on another it limits us to 63.  Both machines are running with
identical CONFIG files and param.c files.  MAXUSERS is set to 64.

We have a small program that just spawns processes until it cant and
reports the number of processes spawned that we use to test this.  On the
good machine, regardless of UID, it spawns out well over 900 processses as
root, and over 1020 as a given non-root UID (depends on how many other
processes are running).  On the problem machine, root gets all 900+
processes.  Non-root UID's only get 63.

sysctl reports 1043 for kern.maxprocperuid.

We are greatly confused.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Rob