Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:15:58 +0300
From:      "Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
To:        "AB" <eincello@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New install, rebuilding world

From: "AB" <eincello@yahoo.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:31 PM
Subject: New install, rebuilding world

> I'm new to FreeBSD, but I've been reading alot in the
> Handbook about building custom kernels and rebuilding
> world, and still can't seem to find what I'm looking
> for.
>
> I want to be able to recompile my whole system so that
> it's optimized for my hardware, but I'd rather not
> track -Stable and have to rebuild a whole slew of
> stuff every few days.

Track RELEASE security fix branch - the brach you want to cvsup is for
example RELENG_6_1 for the bugfix and maintenance release for 6.1
(cvsupping RELENG_6 would get you stable from 6 branch, which is at
the moment 6.1 stable).

For the hardware etc - just tweak the make.conf and kernel config file
to suit your needs.

> Can someone give me some advice (or point me to some
> documentation) on recompiling the -Release6.1 and then
> doing light maintenance (bug fixes, security updates)
> afterwards?

The rest of if goes by the handbook - you can cvsup by hand or just
make a script running once a week or so and alerting you if there are
changes in release sources. Basically the regular buildworld -
buildkernel - installkernel - installworld process is the recommended
way to update, but now and then you can do smaller fixes just going to
directory and doing a make install from there (but doing that you're
on your own).

-Reko