Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:00:04 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: yp_match: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

> Everytime I perform netstat (or systat for that matter) I get some of
> the report and then the message "yp_match: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out"
>
> Any ideas as to where I should start looking for this cause of this
> error?

It's trying to resolve something and can't do it.  The NIS library
likes to print those messages out when that happens.  It makes sense
that this is the case, because netstat (and systat -netstat) tries to
resolve the hostname of all the active connections, but some may not
have corresponding PTR (reverse DNS) records.  Basically, you can
treat it as an ugly "host not found" message (which netstat won't
print because it may screw up its output).

That said, the message above isn't actually DNS-specific; it could
mean any NIS lookup timed out.  Assuming that your NIS server is
reachable, and you're running a program which does *lots* of reverse
lookups, it makes sense that failed DNS lookups are the cause in this
particular case.

Hope this helps

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org