Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:57:17 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: faulty vinum plex, need help please

On Monday, 21 January 2002 at 14:50:11 -0600, Doug Poland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to create a mirrored and striped vinum volume (raid10)
> using 4 identical SCSI disks.  Here's my /etc/vinum.conf:
>
> drive a device /dev/da0s2e
> drive b device /dev/da1s2e
> drive c device /dev/da2s2e
> drive d device /dev/da3s2e
>
> volume dataraid
>   plex org striped 512k
>     sd length 4314m drive a
>     sd length 4314m drive b
>     sd length 4314m drive c
>     sd length 4314m drive d
>   plex org striped 512k
>     sd length 4314m drive c
>     sd length 4314m drive d
>     sd length 4314m drive a
>     sd length 4314m drive b
>
> When I do a # vinum list, it reports:
> 4 drives:
> D a                     State: up       Device /dev/da0s2e      Avail: 0/8628 MB (0%)
> D b                     State: up       Device /dev/da1s2e      Avail: 0/8628 MB (0%)
> D c                     State: up       Device /dev/da2s2e      Avail: 0/8628 MB (0%)
> D d                     State: up       Device /dev/da3s2e      Avail: 0/8628 MB (0%)
>
> 1 volumes:
> V dataraid              State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         16 GB
>
> 2 plexes:
> P dataraid.p0         S State: up       Subdisks:     4 Size:         16 GB
> P dataraid.p1         S State: faulty   Subdisks:     4 Size:         16 GB
>
> 8 subdisks:
> S dataraid.p0.s0        State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       4314 MB
> S dataraid.p0.s1        State: up       PO:      512 kB Size:       4314 MB
> S dataraid.p0.s2        State: up       PO:     1024 kB Size:       4314 MB
> S dataraid.p0.s3        State: up       PO:     1536 kB Size:       4314 MB
> S dataraid.p1.s0        State: empty    PO:        0  B Size:       4314 MB
> S dataraid.p1.s1        State: empty    PO:      512 kB Size:       4314 MB
> S dataraid.p1.s2        State: empty    PO:     1024 kB Size:       4314 MB
> S dataraid.p1.s3        State: empty    PO:     1536 kB Size:       4314 MB
>

> So dataraid plex 1 appears to be faulty.  Is this a mis-configuration
> on my part?

No.

> Is it hardware failure?

No.

> The read/write performance of the vinum volume does not appear to
> have degraded, have I just lost the mirroring property?

I suspect it was never mirrored.

> I'll be thankful for any advice on how to diagnose and fix this situation.

The man page (vinum (8)) is your friend:

     volume name [options]

           Define a volume with name name.

           Options are:

           [snip]

           setupstate

                               When creating a multi-plex volume, assume that
                               the contents of all the plexes are consistent.
                               This is normally not the case, and correctly
                               you should use the init command to first bring
                               them to a consistent state.  In the case of
                               striped and concatenated plexes, however, it
                               does not normally cause problems to leave them
                               inconsistent: when using a volume for a file
                               system or a swap partition, the previous con-
                               tents of the disks are not of interest, so they
                               may be ignored.  If you want to take this risk,
                               use this keyword.  It will only apply to the
                               plexes defined immediately after the volume in
                               the configuration file.  If you add plexes to a
                               volume at a later time, you must integrate
                               them.

I'm surprised nobody else came up with this.  Since you have now
newfs'd your volume, you did the right thing by using 'vinum start',
though you could have simply done a 'vinum start dataraid.p1', which
probably would also have been faster.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.