Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 19:29:30 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Daniel Haischt <danielh@privat.toplink.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiling apache1.3.6

Daniel Haischt writes:
> HIYA
>
> I know why I'm doing the hard way.
> I tried apache-php3 from the ports collection.
>
> But first of all there arent all I'm looking for and as I tried to
> edit the Makefile.inc (generated by the port temporarily)
> I was only able to activate the --with-oracle option
> but not the --with-xml option.
>
> Finally I dont wanna type make, wait until php3 generates
> the Makefile.inc and the type <controll><C> for editing this file.

That's not the way to do it. Type "make patch" and it will stop without
compiling a thing.

> At least this port dont comes with mod_perl and JServ and the
> MM-shred-memory-library so I even hav to do lots of stuff manually. So way
> wont doing the hard way from the very begining.

You do whatever you want to do. But "make patch" as I described earlier
will build a *good* source directory to start as your baseline.

Otherwise you can start looking in /usr/ports/www/apache13*/patches to
see what others have decided needs changing in apache for FreeBSD use.